Friday 9 September 2011

The Calling - Enlgish Bay


On Tuesday my friend Shane and I went out for a pint or two…or four. We went to one of my favorite places in English Bay, The Calling on the corner of Davie and Denman. The Calling is my local watering hole and I felt at some point it needed to be included in this blog. It is more of a gastropub then a typical bar as the food is awesome and they offer much more than wings, burgers and beers.
            It’s small and it fills up quickly on a nice summer day due to the great views of English Bay and the beach, most people come early and leave late. They host different events during the week – Pub Trivia Wednesday and Comedy at the Calling Thursday, so it’s always got a good vibe. They offer a cocktail of the week in addition to seasonal cocktails and of course all the classics. It was Tuesday so beers were $3 – a no-brainer in my opinion. There menu has everything from Wild Mushroom Ravioli to Pan Roasted Organic Salmon and Parsley truffle fries. I had the Brie and Prosciutto sandwich with a side salad. Artisanal prosciutto, baked brie, arugula, vine ripened tomatoes, basil aioli and aged balsamic – ummm, yes please! The sandwich is a grilled panini and it was phenomenal. It’s a bit messy but it’s worth it. I think it’s become evident that not only do I love cheese but Brie is the Queen of all cheeses; at least in my world. The side salad was underwhelming, but it always is so I wouldn’t expect that to change anytime soon. Basically, it is just greens tossed in a bland dressing and a bit of feta.  But hey, we all have room to grow right?
            All in all, it was a good night, one that we have come to expect at The Calling. So if you live in English Bay and are looking for place to have a few pints and good food with friends, hit up The Calling and I promise you won’t be disappointed.

-         Eat Passionately


Xoxo Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment